If you suspect a child has been abused or neglected, or if a child has told you that they have been abused or neglected, make a report to local law enforcement or call the Vermont Department for Children and Families (DCF) at 1-800-649-5285 – available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If a child is in immediate danger, dial 911 or call your local police.
Reports can be made anonymously. Prevent the abuse before it happens. “When in doubt, call it out.”
If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual abuse by a clergy member, a Church employee, or a Church volunteer, please contact the Diocesan Victim Assistance Hotline, toll-free, at 1-866-485-2488. Your story needs to be heard.
Click here for a printable pocket contact card to always have the contact information with you. It was made for parish employees/volunteers, but it is useful for anyone.
For Volunteers and Employees
All parish volunteers are encouraged to participate in the Safe and Sacred online child safety training for learning to recognize and prevent abuse. Employees and volunteers who work around children are required to participate in the training.
Facts about the Safe & Sacred training:
- Is taken completely online from home or anywhere with Internet access*
- Can usually be completed in 2-5 hours
- Does NOT have to be completed in one sitting
- Must be renewed only once a year or every five years (Depending on your role)
*If you do have have Internet access with which you can take the training or you need help we can arrange for you to take it at the parish office. Click here to contact the parish office.
- Click here to access the Login page on the Diocesan website.
- If you do not already have an account click on the “Create new account” button in the center of the web page, and follow the instructions.
- If you already have an account, enter your username and password in the area at the left. If you do not remember your username or password, click on the link marked “Forgotten your username or password” on the left.
- If you are a volunteer or employee who works with children, and you need to renew Safe & Sacred for year 2 of your training click here for 2nd year instructions.
For more information on the training please click here. A background check is a requirement for Safe and Sacred certification for employees and volunteers who work with children.
For the protection of children in our parish and in our society all volunteers should take the training, but if you are a volunteer who does not work with children you may contact the parish office by clicking here for information about requirements for your position.
Safe and Sacred was new training introduced in 2015 that replaced the Virtus and Shield the Vulnerable training programs which were previously used. Volunteers and employees who work with youth who have previously completed Virtus or Shield the Vulnerable are required to have their training updated by taking Safe & Sacred.
Volunteers and employees are obligated to report suspected abuse. If you suspect a child or vulnerable adult is being abused click here for reporting information. “When in doubt, call it out.”